Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Witch of the Week: Hail to the Male Receiver



Jim Morrison was my first idol. One day when I was fourteen, I found myself in the most random, most miraculous of situations: looking through a record store with my mother. It shouldn't be a strange and random occurrence for a fourteen-year-old to be found in a record store, but it most definitely was for me. For seven years previous and for many years following, I lived a satellite life, revolving around a community wrought of Christian fundamentalism. Rock n roll-- and anything with a beat for that matter-- NOT ALLOWED. No foot-stomping, folks. No fun, folks. Just God. And God is a man. And God is an asshole.

And then, suddenly, I was partially alone in the back of a record store, looking through a big rack of posters. And there it was, a poster with the words, "There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are The Doors".

FUCK.

YEAH.

I'm still alive in here. In this fucking mess of do's and don'ts and hell-fire fears and hypocrisy. I've got something to look forward to. So I bought tapes of The Doors secretly and had my own solitary solitude listening parties.

"The Doors constantly courted their muse... Jim believed one cannot simply will the muse; the writer or artist's power lies in his ability to receive, as well as invent, and it was the artist's duty to do everything possible to increase his powers of reception." --From the biography of Jim Morrison "No One Here Gets Out Alive"--

And so I say, HAIL THE RECEIVERS, wherever we may find each other!

1 comment:

  1. dude I am loving you so tough right now! This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete